Saturday, October 4, 2008

Sweating out Tuk Tuk

Name: Tuk Tuk Italian Thai Restaurant
Style: Thai
Neighborhood: Meguro
Website: http://r.gnavi.co.jp/g405800

In general, Japanese people don't like spicy food. This can kind of get in the way when it comes to Mexican, definitely affects the relative paucity of Szechuan places here, and takes some of the enjoyment out of Indian food; but the time it totally changes the eating experience is with Thai food. If you can't get spicy Thai food, it can't be real, can it?

Last week I tried out Meguro's "Tuk Tuk Italian Thai Restaurant." I have no idea how a half-Italian, half-Thai restaurant came to be, but it's the first place I've eaten since coming to Japan where I actually had food that was so hot, I took the first bite and went, "Uh-oh."

Tuk Tuk is 3-4 minutes east of Meguro-eki's east gate towards Shirokanedai. It's actually next door to Meguro Kitchen Bar, a place I've been meaning to try for awhile, which is why I went there. But I saw Tuk Tuk's menu and concept and couldn't resist checking it out. It is, indeed, a half-Italian, half-Thai resturant; there are full Italian and Thai menus with daily specials off both sides.

I got Spring Rolls (the o-susume salad was sold out), and a green curry. The spring rolls were fine, but didn't prepare me for the green curry. Literally the moment I put the first spoonful in my mouth, my lips puckered, my heartrate increased, I flushed, and I instantly ordered a beer because I knew I would need it! The curry was really good, but what caused the reaction is that, unexpectedly, it was just as hot as I wold expect at a Thai restaurant in the Bay Area. Most Tokyo restaurants are a very much mild experience by comparison.

I don't know whether the Tuk Tuk staff sized me up and brought me the extra-spicy or whether everything they serve is like that, but it was a joyous experience. I ate slowly, used lots of rice, and cooled down with the beer when needed. Ah, the sweat of a good Thai meal! If you're looking for that, give Tuk Tuk a try.

Prices are moderate, I think the curry was 1200 yen and the spring rolls 700 or so.

1 comment:

Leo said...

2011 update: Tuk Tuk is no longer with us. The space is under renovation, looks like something else is being put in.